Friday, November 18, 2011

Welcome the New Guys!

We recently hired a trio of new developers at work, and it's been such an enjoyable experience to have them around. Tim, Clay, and Yan (who starts soon) are all solid developers and great guys as well.

I've paired with Clay and Tim full-time, and I'm completely sold on the practice. The mind-share we create through immediate feedback and conversation is invaluable. Management likes it because it means the new hires are productive from the outset, as the training happens in real-time. We're learning from each other in numerous ways. For example, the default macvim/git interaction doesn't work, so I have had to use the command line for commit messages. Tim kindly informed me that I can set my bash editor to default to macvim using:
EDITOR="macvim -f"
Now I can write my commit messages in macvim. The -f flag prevents forking when starting so git will wait until the editor closes before proceeding. A nice thing to have.

Here's to the new guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment